In the Somerset West Police District there are now over 1,140 registered Neighbourhood Watch schemes covering approximately 27,000 households.
As part of a recognised Neighbourhood Watch you will find there is a heightened awareness of what is going on in and around your area. Schemes have the following aims:
- Cut crime and the opportunities for crime
- Help and reassure those who live in fear of crime
- Encourage neighbourliness and closer communities
- Tell the police and your neighbours about suspicious incidents in your neighbourhood
Schemes can bring the following to your community:
- Messages forwarded to co-ordinators to inform them of crime trends, public information, crime reduction
- Information Bulletins published 3 times a year and circulated to schemes
- Special Offers on security equipment such as personal alarms, vehicle security, shed alarms etc
- Discounts on house insurance - available from most insurance companies for members of schemes registered with the police
- Most active Watch areas see a reduction in crime and increase in the sense of community spirit and well being.
Neighbourhoood Watch Schemes already in operation within the Comeytrowe area cover:
Avon Close, Bradford Close, Claremont Drive, Comeytrowe Rise, Deane Drive, Gaunton Court, Glasses Mead, Hewett Close, Hillside Grove, Lloyd Close, Lodge Close, Matthews Road, Minister Court, Princess Road, Court Hill, Poundisford Close, Highfield Close, Highfield, Westfield Close, Langham Drive, Alston Close, Ashton Court, Stoneleigh Court.
If you area is not included in the above and you would like to organise a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme, or would like to find out more, you can simply contact:
Lindsey Stone in the Watch Schemes Office, Bridgwater Police Station, Phone/Fax 01823-363348 during office hours (Mon-Fri 8.00am-4.00pm) or
Lindsey will be able to give you pack of information about Neighbourhood Watch which you can read at your leisure. The pack will ask you to complete a survey of your immediate area (usually around 10-20 properties) to see if there is sufficient interest to start a scheme and advises on the next step to take once the survey is complete.